Thursday, August 29, 2013

Shadows on the Ceiling

A few nights ago, after I put my sweet boy down, he started to stir. I heard his little body wiggling on his sheets - through the monitor that sat beside me as I washed his bottles, and other dishes from the day. There was no doubt, the boy I laid down was AWAKE!

I walked in and turned on my iPhone flashlight app. (Sidenote: I am a bit behind in the technology world, but if you have a smart phone you must download the flashlight app!) As the light shone on his crib, I saw his two-teeth glistening. The he began to giggle. The sweetest laugh I have heard come out of him. I wasn't making faces, I wasn't tickling or prodding him to laugh. He just laughed when he saw the light, and my face...still not sure if I should be offended about that.

Poor sweet boy had too much fun, and spit up all over his crib. He was inconsolable for about 10 minutes, so I brought him in our room and laid him between his daddy and I. Turned out he lights and had the flashlight (courtesy of my iPhone) shining on the ceiling.

What happened next was pure innocence. My husband, son and I laid in our bed together, making shadow puppets on the ceiling. I made the only one I know - the butterfly, Jason made a dog and some other creature - not sure what it was, and Gavin laid their completely transfixed on the show playing out before his eyes.



It was simple - no money involved. Just a sweet moment in time that I will always cherish. A time when our little boy needed us to spend time with him (even though it was 11:00 at night). A moment that I pray we will get to recreate many times in the future.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to brush up my shadow puppet skills.


No comments:

Post a Comment